Friday 1 October 2010

The Fear of all Fears: Lunaediesophobia

Ok, so for the last few weeks, we've covered a fairly standard set of phobias - spiders, snakes and dolls - this week, I thought we'd have a little fun with Lunaediesophobia.


Lunaediesophobia, or the fear of Mondays as it more commonly known, has affected every one of us at some point in our lives. Whether it's double science first thing; an end-of-month of report that needs completing by lunchtime; or just the thought of actually having to do something constructive after a weekend of merry mayhem, there comes a point in everyone's lives when you simply say to yourself - 'I'm really not looking forward to tomorrow'.


Evidence supporting this particular phobia is pretty scanty, other than the lines of Rainy Days and Mondays by the Carpenters. There's no Freudian theory behind it, there are no facts about how long Monday will actually take to kill you, and it doesn't appear in the top 100 of the world's greatest phobias… yet amazingly, it affects us all. And if the truth be told, the reason it's made it onto the interwebs today is through my own dread of getting up this morning.


You see, I rely on public transport to get to into the office, and schools have started up again for the autumn term, which means two things:


1• There's less seats on my train


2• My enjoyment of C.S. Lewis's Voyage of the Dawn Treader will be somewhat lessened due to the fact I can't sit and read in quiet.


Add to this the love I have for my bed and the huge mountain of work that sits between me and my monitor, and you can understand why Sunday just didn't last long enough.


Do you feel my pain? Can you understand where I'm coming from? Better still, can you top it? I'd love to hear your thoughts.


Join the conversation on Facebook, add your two pennies on Twitter, and we'll compile a list of the worst Monday morning experiences on the whole web.

No comments:

Post a Comment